Throughout history, perfumes have been used to entice, seduce, and captivate; however, a powerful and sensuous fragrance doesn't suit every woman or every situation. Take a look at some instances when a less aggressive scent is a better choice and how to choose the best subtle perfumes for those occasions.
Choose the Right Perfume Concentration
How long a fragrance lasts and how far it projects relies heavily on the amount of pure perfume oil that it contains. The higher the concentration of perfume oil, the greater the longevity and sillage. Use these ranges as a guide:
- Extrait de Parfum: The most concentrated type of perfume available, with as much as 40 percent perfume oil and massive longevity and projection. If you are seeking subtle perfumes this scent type is not for you.
- Eau de Parfum: EDPs contain up to a 20 percent concentration of perfume oil and have 6 to 8 hours of longevity. They can be subtle depending on the scent profile of the perfume.
- Eau de Toilette: With a lower perfume oil concentration of 5 to 15 percent, EDTs have a brief longevity of 4 to 6 hours.
- Eau de Cologne: EDCs are very light scents with only a 2 to 4 percent concentration of perfume oils and 1 to 3 hours of longevity.
Focus on Select Fragrance Families
Along with perfume concentration, the most prominent notes in a fragrance will affect its projection and longevity. Scents that are dominated by amber notes like sandalwood and benzoin linger longer on the skin and project further. Fragrances dominated by fresh notes such as citrus and herbs are typically more ephemeral. Subtle perfumes usually feature fresh notes and soft floral accords.
Match the Scent to the Event
You don't wear an evening gown to the office, you don't wear stilettos to church, and you don't put on evening makeup to go to lunch with friends. Just like every aspect of your style, your perfume choice should match the occasion. Here are a few situations where subtle perfumes are the best choice and some of the greatest scents to try.
On the Job
The office is not the place for a pervasive fragrance that permeates the space. Rather than sensuality or mystery, women often prefer to project power and professionalism in the workplace. Try these scents for your next board meeting:
- Prada Infusion d'Iris EDP
- Maurer and Wirtz 4711 EDC
At a Formal Event
If you are attending an evening at the opera, a fundraising gala, or an elaborate wedding, you want to exude sophistication. Choose scents that are elegant without being overwhelming. You can't go wrong with these classic fragrances:
- Burberry London EDP
- Guerlain Shalimar EDT
For a Romantic Daytime Date
For a romantic afternoon, avoid scents that evoke thoughts of outright sensuality and go with fragrances that are soft and a bit flirtatious instead. Choose a perfume that is fresh and feminine such as these:
- Byredo Blanche EDP
- Gucci Bamboo EDT
Find the Best Subtle Fragrances at LaBelle Perfumes
You can find all of the subtle perfumes named here plus hundreds more online at LaBelle Perfumes. We have been in business since 1995 and have a reputation for excellent customer service and premium pricing. Browse the extensive catalog on our online store today.